I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, August 17, 2015

Let's Talk About Catch Phrases

 "Is that your final answer?"  
"You have entered the Twilight Zone"
     "Not That There's Anything Wrong With That"
         
Me- Catch phrases, wow! I like TV catch phrases because I take them and make them my own catch phrases. I especially like the ones on How I Met Your Mother, one of my favorite shows. The character of Barney on How I Met Your Mother probably has the most catch phrases of anybody on any show. Some of his catch phrases are "Legend wait for it dary", "Suit-up" and "Have you met Ted?" Another show with a lot of catch phrases is Full House. That used to be my favorite show. Some of the catch phrases from Full House are "How rude", "You got It Dude", and "Cut it out." Some shows have few if any catch phrases. The Big Bang Theory has "Bazinga." Friends has "How you doin?" The trouble with the Friends catch phrase is it doesn't sound right unless you say it with exactly the right tone. Sometimes even reality shows have catch phrases like Say Yes to the Dress has "Are saying yes to the dress?" I even have a lot of my own catch phrases. For instance, "Unicorn power" "I'm a unicorn", "I am not crazy my awesomeness is just too advanced for you" and "I am just that awesome." Catch phrases are fun.

"Here's Looking at you, kid."
"Frankly,  my dear I don't give a damn."
"I'll be back." 

Mom- I love a good catch phrase. The movies are full of catch phrases from "There's no place like home" to "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" to "May the force be with you" to "I'll have what she's having" and beyond. Some movie catch phrases are so familiar you don't even have to have seen the movie to know the catch phrase. TV shows have plenty of fun catch phrases as well. From "To the moon Alice" to "Sit on it" to "No soup for you" to "Bazinga" and beyond. Some shows are even known for their catch phrases. Saturday Night Live comes immediately to mind. Over the years, Saturday Night Live has given us such catch phrases as "It's always something", "You look MAH-VELOUS", "Isn't that special?" and "Talk amongst yourselves" Sometimes even in life people have their own little catch phrases that they always say. My own personal catch phrases are always changing over the years. Sometimes, they are things I picked up from other sources, although I don't always use them in the same way they were originally used. For instance, I have often been known to tell my children "That's not my department" when they come to me about a matter which can better be handled by someone else. Other times, I make up my own catch phrases. For instance, I always say "I'm not your entertainment committee" when my children tell me how bored they are. My catch phrases have changed based on my age and the stage of my life as well as my children's ages and the stages of their lives. When I was a kid, I couldn't imagine  using the kind of catch phrases I use now. Now, I can't imagine the kind of catch phrases I'll use in the future or the kinds of catch phrases they'll have in the movies and/or in TV shows then either. We'll just have to wait and see or rather we'll just have to wait and hear.

And that's our view. What is your favorite catch phrase?

No comments:

Post a Comment