I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, December 7, 2015

The Wiz Live

Me- The Wiz Live, wow!  I liked The Wiz Live. I liked it more than Peter Pan Live, but not as much as The Sound of Music Live. The  Wiz sets were really cool! I liked some of the songs. I liked Brand New Day and Home. I already knew and liked Home from when they sang it on Glee. I liked it better when Kristen Chenowith sang it on Glee. I liked Dorothy's costume. I liked that it was a cool outfit. I probably wouldn't wear an outfit like that myself though. I didn't like the scarecrow, the tinman, and the lion's costumes. I pretty much liked all the acting in the show. I liked the singing in the show too except Dorothy's voice got on my nerves. Her acting was pretty good. My favorite character in the show was Adapearl the Good Witch of the South. I liked her because I like Amber Riley, the actress who played her, because she used to be on Glee. The best part of the show was that it was much better than the movie The Wiz.

Mom -  I enjoyed The Wiz Live. I am sure it was not to everyone's taste. Some people do not like live theater. Some people do not like musicals. However, I think that a lot of people who did not like it did not really understand it. It was not racist as some people thought. It was meant to be a black version of The Wizard of Oz. Were there any white people in The Wizard of Oz (Green people and other colors that don't really exist don't count here). No there were not. Does that mean that The Wizard of Oz was racist? I don't know but you can't accuse The Wiz of being racist unless you say the same thing about The Wizard of Oz. As for people who think that there should be a white version of The Wiz. They just don't get the point at all which is, of course, that The Wiz is the black version of The Wizard of Oz so there has already been a white version. Anyway, now that we have that out of the way, here is my view of the show. I thought it was good. I liked the sets and costumes. I especially loved Dorothy's costume. It was a really cute outfit. I wouldn't mind having an outfit like that if I was a bunch of years younger. The singing and acting were all good. Shanice Williams in particular did a nice job as Dorothy especially considering she was an unknown with little or no professional acting experience.  I didn't really like Uzo Aduba as Glinda. Her acting was okay, but she just didn't seem right for the part to me. Some of the songs in the show like Home, Brand New Day and No Bad News I love. Other of the songs I didn't like that much at all. I had heard the songs before, however, because I had seen the show on Broadway years ago. I don't remember that much about the show from when I saw it before. However, I do remember Stephanie Mills playing Dorothy  I liked that Stephanie Mills, who played Dorothy when The Wiz was originally on Broadway played Auntie Em in this version. It brought the whole thing full circle both for me and for the show.

And that's our view. What show would you like to see would you like to see a live version of broadcast on TV next?

No comments:

Post a Comment