I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, March 28, 2016

Monthly Mash-up March, 2016 - Dreams and Home Videos

Me  - My topic for this month is dreams. I had a dream that my family was backstage at the Broadway show School of Rock. We were talking to the people in the show. They all seemed nice and fun to be around except for one. I don't remember who it was but there was one person who was really mean. In the dream, I had decided that I wanted to learn how to play the bass guitar and then try-out for School of Rock. After that, fabulous things kept happening to me. That dream has inspired me to actually learn how to play the bass guitar and try-out for School of Rock. I am so glad I had that dream, and I really hope that I can actually get in to School of Rock.*

*The above post is by younger sister, Aurella.

Mom - My topic for this month is home videos. I am not talking about the old fashioned kind of home videos which families made for themselves and only shared among themselves. I am talking about the modern kind of videos which people share with the world on YouTube in the hopes that they'll go viral. First of all, the fact that they are even called viral tells you that there is something wrong with this whole culture of oversharing. I don't understand these viral videos. I mean I get that if you are at your kids recital or soccer game or something like that you would be taking a video because you would want to preserve that event for prosterity. However, if you are taking videos while you just happen to be riding along in the car or when you are reprimanding your child for stealing a donut or something like that there can be no other reason than that you are just hoping that your child while do or say something cute enough to go viral on YouTube. If so, that is just sad. It is sad for the kids because either they are going to have a lifetime of embarassing videos of themselves out there for all the world to see or they are going to think that their entire lives are something to be out there to share with the world. It is sad for the parents because wouldn't you rather be spending good quality time interacting with your kids in a real way instead of viewing them from behind a video camera? After all, kids are only young for a little while and that time period goes by in the blink of an eye.

And that's our view. What's on your mind? Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment