I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, June 19, 2017

The 2017 Tony Awards

The 2017 Tony Awards were held on Sunday June 11, 2017 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

Me - I liked watching the Tony Awards even though I hadn't seen most of the shows that won awards. Also, my favorite show of the past year wasn't nominated for many awards. I did see Groundhog Day, Anastasia and Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. Groundhog Day and Anastasia didn't win any awards though. Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 won a couple though. My favorite part of the show was the musical numbers. My favorite musical numbers were the ones from Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away. Even though I hadn't seen those shows the music is good.  I didn't really like the choice of musical numbers from the shows I had seen. I was disappointed that the cast of Anastasia didn't perform. That is one of my favorite shows, and I like every song from that show. Now, that the Tony Awards are over, I am excited about the new theater season. I look forward to next year's Tony. I hope next year I have seen a lot of the shows that are up for win and Tonys.

Mom - I always love the Tony Awards. I especially enjoy the musical numbers. This year I had actually seen a lot of the musicals that were up for awards including all four Best New Musical nominees. While I enjoyed all of them, I definitely thought that some of them had much better songs than the ones they chose to sing during the awards show. I did not see any of the plays that were up for awards. Although I see a lot of plays Off Broadway and Off Off Broadway, on Broadway I usually see many more musicals than plays. I liked how they had each of the playwrights whose play was up for Best New Play talk about their play. When they just have actors perform a scene from the play, it is often hard to tell what the play is really about. Kevin Spacey did a decent job hosting the show. When I first heard he was hosting I didn't think he would be very good because I think of him as being a serious actor and not really funny. Award shows always go better when the host can be funny. Kevin Spacey wasn't bad though. He wasn't the best host ever, but he wasn't the worst.  All in all, it was a nice official end to the 2016/2017 season. I looking forward to seeing the 2017/2018 season unfold, and I hope I get to see a lot of the shows.

For a full list of Tony Award Winners go to
http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/winners.html.

To watch performances from the 2017 Tony Awards go to http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-the-musical-performances-from-the-2017-tony-awards.

For our view of some of this year's Tony winning shows go to

Theater Thursday - Dear Evan Hansen

Theater Thursday - Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

Theater Thursday - Come From Away

We will be featuring a review of Hello Dolly shortly as well as several shows that were nominated for but did not win Tony Awards.

For even more about this years Tony nominated shows or to  purchase tickets to any of the nominated shows visit the below web-sites:

Musicals:*

For Anastasia:anastasiabroadway.com
For Bandstand bandstandbroadway.com
For Come From Away comefromaway.com
For Dear Evan Hansen  dearevanhansen.com
For Groundhog Day the Musical groundhogdaymusical.com
For Hello Dolly hellodollyonbroadway.com.
For Miss Saigon saigonbroadway.com
For Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 greatcometbroadway.com
For War Paint warpaintmusical.com

*Tony nominated musicals Falsettos and Holiday Inn have already concluded their limited runs.

Plays:**

For A Doll's House Part 2 dollshousepart2.com
For Indecent indecentbroadway.com - This show will only be running through June 25
For The Little Foxes littlefoxesbroadway.com - This show will only be running through July 2
For Oslo lct.org/shows/oslo-broadway
For The Play That Goes Wrong broadwaygoeswrong.com
For Present Laughter laughteronbroadway.com - This show will only be running through July 2
For Sweat sweatbroadway.com - This show will only be running through June 25

**The plays Arthur Miller's The Price, The Front Page, The Glass Menagerie, Jitney, The Present, and Six Degrees of Separation have already closed.

And that's our view. Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.
Photo credit: photo credit: sethoscope red stage curtains via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment